Valentine’s Day has a lot of neat little facts associated with it. Here are some you might not know about!
Valentine’s Day numbers:
• More than 36 million boxes of chocolate are sold for Valentine’s Day!
• Women buy about 85% of all Valentine’s Day cards.
• About one billion cards are sent on Valentine’s Day.
• On average, about two million couples are married in the United States on Valentine’s Day.
• In recent years, the total revenue generated by Valentine’s Day-related items has been more than $650 million.
• In 2006, more than 180 million roses were delivered across the U.S. on Valentine’s Day. While 60% of all roses grown in America are grown in California, most of those sold on Valentine’s Day actually come from South America.
Valentine’s Day history:
• There were three different St. Valentines mentioned in history, but THE St. Valentine was a priest who lived in Rome during the third century.
• St. Valentine’s Day was set the day before the pagan festival of Lupercalia in an attempt to “Christianize” the day.
• The oldest known Valentine that still exists was written by Charles, the Duke of Orleans, and sent to his wife.
• February 14, 1929, is called the St. Valentine’s Day massacre after Al Capone’s gang killed seven people.
Famous couples who married on Valentine’s Day:
• Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid
• Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee
• The Captain and Tennille
• Sharon Stone and Phil Bronstein
• Prince and Mayte Garcia
Other fun facts:
• The first Conversation Hearts candies were made in 1866.
• In the U.S., 64% of men do not make Valentine’s Day plans in advance. They just wing it!
• Hallmark has over 1300 different Valentine’s Day cards!
• Teachers receive the most Valentines.
Don’t forget to send some of those 180 million roses to your significant other! Order your Valentine Flowers in Houston, TX, today.