New Year’s Eve is coming up! Are you ready to ring in 2012? As part of their New Year’s celebrations, many people like to make resolutions. These resolutions are things they want to accomplish during the next year. Some people keep them religiously, tracking their progress and knocking out more than one resolution. Others make resolutions and promptly forget about them by the end of January.
Keeping a resolution can be difficult, especially if you set your goals extremely high. However, there are some things that can help. Writing down your resolution makes it more concrete. Put your written resolution somewhere where you’ll see it every day. Stick it to your bathroom mirror, put it near your computer monitor, or use a magnet to put it on your refrigerator door. Seeing it every day will keep it fresh in your mind. Another way of keeping a resolution is to do a group resolution. If you and a few friends decide to achieve the same thing during the new year, you can keep each other accountable.
So what kinds of resolutions to people make? Well, just about anything, really! However, there are some common resolutions. Here are some ideas if you want to set a New Year’s resolution:
• Lose weight (set an exact goal so you know when you’ve met it)
• Get a promotion / get a new job
• Find love (again, this is pretty vague so try to set a clear goal, like go on X number of dates)
• Save a certain amount of money
• Travel to a specific destination
• Read a certain number of books
• Finish a project you’ve been putting off or working on for years
• Move or buy your first house
• Buy a new car
• Give back to the community
• Learn a new language
• Take an art class
• Quit smoking (or give up some other vice)
• Make a new friend
Do you have any resolutions in mind for 2012? If so, please share them in the comments below!